1866-1914

1866

The company is founded by the brothers Gottfried and Lorens Beijer, by the company name of G & L Beijer. Initially, the emphasis is on grain but the company gradually moves into coal, pig iron and rolled steel.

1878

Sydsvenska Ångfartygs AB is established on the initiative of Gottfried Beijer. At the same time, a forwarding and shipping agency is set up.

1894

A branch office is opened in Stockholm.

1901

Gottfried Beijer dies and is succeeded as Managing Director of the company by his brother, Lorens.

1904

The Malmö and Stockholm operations go their separate ways.

1905

All the shares in Carl Peterssons Stenkols AB are acquired.

1908

G & L Beijer is transformed into a limited company and Lorens Beijer becomes its first Chairman.

1910

Lorens Beijer dies and is succeeded as Managing Director by Alfred Jacobson.

1914

Erskine Hain is appointed Managing Director of the company.